- 3 TBSP grape seed oil
- 1 tomato skinned and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp ground Aleppo pepper
- 1 lb carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked dried green lentils
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- fresh dill sprigs (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 9 minutes or until lightly browned, stir occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato and Aleppo pepper; cook 30 seconds. Stir in carrots and 1/4 tsp salt; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Combine 3 cups water and lentils in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, and stir in onion mixture; cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover with a kitchen towel, and cool to room temperature. Garnish with dill if desired.